If you’re looking for a new recipe for smoked salmon, this mango salad is a satisfying and fresh plate. It’s also low carb. Yay!
Recipe after the jump!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 4 pieces smoked salmon
- 2 small English cucumbers
- 4 spears of partially ripened mango, cubed
- 4 0z. salad leaves
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard or any other kind of mustard, including powder
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar, honey, or granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive olive
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped or substitute with chopped hazel nuts or sliced almonds
Here, I used Organic Girl‘s 50/50 salad mix from Whole Foods Market with half baby spinach and half spring mix. A salad blend with mache (“mâche”) or frisee (frisée) would also be great substitutes.
I prefer unripped mangos in this salad to get a crunchier texture and a more tart flavor than fully ripped mangos, which are limper and sweeter. If you’re picking out fresh mangos to cut from scratch, the greener the mango, the less ripe they are.
Place cucumbers, mango, nuts, and torn pieces of smoked salmon together in a large bowl.
Mix lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, agave nectar or other sweetener, salt, and pepper together with a fork in a small bowl to make the dressing. Pour the dressing into the large bowl, toss with 2 large spoons to blend the dressing in.
Add the salad in, one small bunch at a time to control the desired proportion of salad leaves. Toss and plate!
There are lots of possible variations on this salad. The key ingredients here are the mustard dressing, smoked salmon, and mangos. Happy eating 🙂